When making lunch today I had several things in mind.
1) Use whatever I have on hand
2) Use up ingredients that may perish soon
3) Create something that took minimal amount of effort but tastes like it took much more

Since I'm heading out of town soon, I have been resisting buying groceries. This leaves me with not many options for my creations. Here's what I used:
- mini whole wheat pitas (in the freezer)
- can of tuna
- dijon mustard
- olive oil
- capers
- dill, onion powder, pepper
- spinach
- goat cheese
- Frank's Red Hot
I put the defrosted pitas on a baking sheet, plopped all the ingredients on top of them and put the tray under the broiler until it was hot and the pita got crispy.
It was ridiculously good and took all of 5 minutes to prepare. No more excuses that you don't have time or energy to make real food. Some of these ingredients may not seem like a likely pair but that's the whole fun of cooking. You never know what's going to work until you try.

For some reason I get this thrill when I use up everything in the fridge or cupboards. I don't think it's ever anyone's goal to be wasteful but it still happens. It's a small little reward to use creativity towards an end product that is practical, tasty, and resourceful.
No comments:
Post a Comment