Thursday, November 6, 2008

Stuffed

I love food-eating it, talking about it, reading about it, cooking it...and now I'm realizing that I also love to take pictures of it. It shouldn't really be a surprise.
Tonight I made up a random concoction. I had several things I wanted to use up:

  • acorn squash
  • quinoa (leftovers)
  • broccoli (leftovers)

I had some shrimp in the freezer and I decided I wanted a sort of New Orleans influenced stuffed squash.

For the squash I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, put each half face down in a baking dish with about 1 inch of water and baked for 20 minutes at 375-just long enough to be able to easily stick a knife into the squash

I combined the quinoa and broccoli with some hot sauce, salt/pepper, lime juice, and cilantro

I marinated the shrimp in Drew's Smoked Tomato marinade, garlic, and hot sauce before grilling on the good ol' Foreman grill.

When the shrimp was done I cut up the shrimp into bite sized pieces and mixed in with the quinoa and broccoli.

I drizzled olive oil and salt/pepper on the cooked squash half and piled in the quinoa mixture in the squash cavity.

It tasted pretty good, although I think the squash could have used more flavor. I didn't season it at all before cooking..maybe that would help.
The exciting part is that I still have another 1/2 of the squash left! Stay tune to see in what exciting way I decide to utilize it! :)

No comments: