I'm stepping into high gear a little bit. I feel like since getting Harley, I've slacked off a little on my exercise. That's not entirely true...I actually stepped it up in ways, taking 2 walks a day with the bugger, including an afternoon walk/hike that in the summer could be anywhere between 1 and 2 hrs. But with the walking and hiking came a decrease in the yoga, kickboxing, and weight-lifting. I can be a sucker for infomercials and ordered p90x last year. It's an awesome program and you end up getting like 10 different hour long workout dvds. Anyways, I've decided to try and incorporate some more activity in with my walking. The timing seems good since it's getting colder and colder out, and I feel like I'm walking less to stay in the warmth of my apartment. So today I woke up at 5, walked the dog for about 20 minutes, and then did about 30 minutes of Core Synergistics from p90x. It's a pretty intense core/cardio program and works your whole body with emphasis on the core. After school I took Harley on about a 40 minute walk and then came home and continued with the remaining 30 minutes of Core Synergistics. It's weird how you almost get MORE energy from doing the activity. You'd think I'd be exhausted.
PLANTAINS
I decided on a dinner that would replenish my body and what better way but to go...
CUBAN!!!
Plantains were also part of the bargain farmstand purchase and I've been dying to cook them up. There is an amazing Cuban stand at the farmer's market and they make the s
implest chicken, rice/beans, and fried plantains taste like pure gold. The last time I tried to make my own plantains, I made the mistake of buying the green ones and they were not sweet and got kind of crunchy. Not what I was looking for. The plantains I bought this time were reddish yellow with black spots and they cooked in no time. They were perfectly sweet and everything I had hoped for. The Cuban stand uses some kind of tomato broth that they cook the chicken in, so I tried to recreate my own which I ended up pouring on top. I also was too lazy to cook new rice, so I dug out some from my risotto, picking out the squash. I mixed the rice with black beans to serve as the bed to place my chicken on.
implest chicken, rice/beans, and fried plantains taste like pure gold. The last time I tried to make my own plantains, I made the mistake of buying the green ones and they were not sweet and got kind of crunchy. Not what I was looking for. The plantains I bought this time were reddish yellow with black spots and they cooked in no time. They were perfectly sweet and everything I had hoped for. The Cuban stand uses some kind of tomato broth that they cook the chicken in, so I tried to recreate my own which I ended up pouring on top. I also was too lazy to cook new rice, so I dug out some from my risotto, picking out the squash. I mixed the rice with black beans to serve as the bed to place my chicken on.The chicken was seasoned with seasoned salt, chili powder, and lime juice. The "broth" was a mixture of chicken stock, tomato paste, chili, seasoned salt, cilantro, and lime juice. The whole plate together was amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment